Parsonage from Leikanger in Sogn, 1752
house was built for parson Gjert Geelmuyden. Its appearance is little changed since 1752 except that the windows and main door have been renewed. The roofs have probably kept their original swaying shape.
The greatest change occurred in the 1820s when the old parlor was divided into four rooms. The style of these rooms is classicistic in contrast to the rococo forms of the rooms toward the west. The kitchen bears witness to the culinary culture upheld by the parsonages.
The Bethlehem Meeting house from Hinna in Stavanger, 1876
The pastor of Stavanger, Lars Oftedal, was actively involved in the raising of the meeting house. This was a result of the district’s intense Christian revival movement of the 1860s and 1870s. Oftedal, a former evangelist, saw the need for a place of worship for his parishioners.
Its statutes decreed that Bethlehem was to be a Christian meeting house, but its board never adopted a restricted religious limit to the scope of their activities.
In 1913, the meeting house was dedicated for clerical acts and functioned as a church between 1913 and 1967. The meeting house has been restored at the museum to its original form and colors.
Schoolhouse from Natås in Lindås 1866-67
This schoolhouse from western Norway is typical of the earliest schools – a fairly small building with one room for teaching, a hall and a chamber, and a gallery along its back wall. The building was used as a school as late as the 1960s.
The schoolroom is furnished with rows of desks on each side of a middle aisle. The boys were seated to the left and girls to the right. The writing equipment of the day, slate pencils and split pen-points, are gone. But the ink bottles, little slates and the large blackboard have been preserved. The spittoon is also in place on the floor beside the teacher’s desk, once much used by both pupils and teachers spitting snuff.