At the end of World War II (1944-1945) the Germans used scorched earth tactics, and destroyed almost all buildings and all boats in Finnmark and Northern Troms. The population was evacuated. In the years following the liberation in 1945, the region was rebuilt and people returned.
The extensive reconstruction of the region lasted until the early 1960s. This is an important, but little known part of Norwegian postwar history. The architecture of the region was completely changed during this period – a direct and concrete expression of the drama and the change the people themselves went through.
The Family who lived in the house
Finnmark is the northernmost part of Norway and constitutes one sixth of mainland Norway, with an area of over 48 000 km². Finnmark borders the Arctic Ocean in the north, towards Troms (Kvænangen) in the west, Finland in the south and Russia in the east. The largest cities are Alta and Hammerfest in the west and Vadsø and Kirkenes in the east.
An Article by Inger Jensen
Project Manager Building
Project Manager Interiors and Exhibition
The Project Team
Morten Bing, Cultural History Section
Anne Marie Svebak Grimstad, Education Section
Alexander Lindbäck, Departement of Archives
Jan Petter Brennsund, Department of Preservation
The Exhibition Team
Mette Opsal and Cecilie Thue
From the Building Preservation Section:
Einar Haugen, Lars Lunde, Alexander Myrseth and John Wennberg
From the Department of Agricultur
Jan Tore Sørsdal, Gard Anstensrud and Stein Sunde