Johannes gate 4 and Stupinngate 10 have a common yard, with access from the street. The yard is partly planted. In addition to the dwelling houses there is an outhouse with a privy. The yard originally also had a shed, but this has not been re-erected at the museum.
The houses are from the 1840s, and consisted of two separate residential units. Marius Andresen moved into Johannes gate 4 with his wife Augusta in 1909. He later also bought Stupinngata 10. From 1916 to 1940 the two houses were occupied by the same family. The joint entrance was erected prior to 1920, and linked the two residences closer together.
In 1925 Johannes gate 4 and Stupinngata 10 had 13 residents. Enerhaugen often had a large number of residents in each house, and in the 1920s the area was characterised by cramped living conditions. Yards and outhouses were often used for home-based trade, for example by carpenters, tinsmiths and cobblers.
In Johannes gate 4/Stupinngata 10 most of the residents had jobs outside the home, and the yard provided a much-needed space for laundry, wood chopping and maintenance work. The yard was also used for recreational purposes by the numerous residents. Here the children of the family would play, often joined by neighbouring children. In their spare time the adults would gather to talk and relax on the bench, and if necessary bring out chairs from the living room and kitchen.